top of page

Fundraising for charities

Rachel Makena's most recent fundraising song recordings are Walrus and Plastic Wrap (2023) which are going to be used to raise money for WWF.

You can have a listen to Walrus by clicking on the 'play' symbol near the Album Artwork.

Below, you can find the older versions of Walrus and Plastic Wrap.

WWF

World Wide Fund for Nature

Having taken an interest in sustainability and the environment from a young age, Rachel Makena has chosen to write and record songs as requested by WWF. After WWF heard her sustainability songs 'Plastic Wrap' and 'Can Anybody Hear Me?' Rachel Makena was asked to write songs for WWF events. 'Wear it Wild' was written to inspire people to take part in WWF's fundraising activity and 'Walrus' was written to raise awareness of World Walrus Day on 24th November.

 

By purchasing Rachel Makena's fundraising songs you will be helping to raise money for WWF with 75% of the sale going towards WWF (inclusive of deductions from the donation platform Work for Good which allows businesses to easily donate to charity). The remaining 25% will help Rachel Makena continue to work as a musician.  

Rachel Makena at West Hull FM (2019)

'Walrus'  - a song written from the perspective of a Walrus on its day-to-day survival in the arctic Rachel Makena hopes to get across messages of animals who are being greatly impacted by climate change and habitat loss. Music has the ability to reach so many people in a different ways and even though there is a strong message in the lyrics the melody and instruments lift Walrus into the pop world.

After speaking with WWF about their fundraising campaign 'Wear it Wild' Rachel Makena was asked to write a theme song, in the style similar to a radio jingle. 'Wear it Wild' was written to inspire others to take part in WWF's fundraising activity. The song explains what it is all about.

'Plastic Wrap' is a song that was inspired by beans. Yes, beans. 'After going to the supermarket and finding that the plastic wrapped multipack of 3 tins of beans was cheaper per tin than buying them individually (with no plastic wrapping) I wanted to understand why this was the case (as how is more stuff cheaper than less stuff?). I then wrote to the supermarket and asked the question. Their response was about how it was supplied to them like that. My next line of inquiry was to the beans manufacturer who said they had shared my thoughts about the plastic wrapping with the Research, Packaging and Design team.

bottom of page